

This semester I have been taking a Literacy class at AUM--only 3 more semesters to go! The class is 3 classes in 1 and counts for 9 hours. So far this class has been the most meaningful class I have taken at AUM. I have learned so much! I feel like I have really discovered my passion--teaching Literacy. Reading and Writing have always been my favorite subjects--I have even wanted to write books since the 2nd grade--so it definitely makes sense that I would enjoy teaching this. This class was really a revolutional class--my professor taught us the new, non-traditional ways of teaching Literacy and I LOVE IT! Through my experience at Maxwell, I can definitely see that these strategies are WAY more effective than the old, traditional, rote practices. Another discovery I made is that I would really love to teach 1st grade! I used to think I wanted to teach 3rd-5th, but this experience has really helped me to see how great it is to teach at the 1st grade age. They are like little cute sponges. :) They are also still at the age where they want to please their teachers. I guess it helped that the children were so wonderful. So well behaved! You can definitely tell that the teachers have taken their time with the children to teach them how to behave. I feel that I became very close with my little group and I will miss them so much. My cooperating teacher was also amazing! I really learned a lot from her and hope to stay in touch with her. She was sooo sweet! I feel that we have a lot in common and I know I could learn so much from her! She is moving to another department next year and she wanted to have a fresh start, so she gave me all of her classroom stuff including her turtle! Now we have a turtle named Pokey Dot :) . I don't know how I will ever repay her! This has truly been one of the most amazing experiences I have had so far at AUM (and I've been going there for almost 4 years). I am so sad it's all over!! I seriously almost cried when I was making my kid's goodie bags for the last day! I can definitely tell that this is what God made me for :). I only pray my Internship will be this great of an experience...
No comments:
Post a Comment